Here at Honey and Dates, we LOVE makeup! When we began this blog, we started researching the ingredients used in makeup. Then came the tears (don’t worry, we were wearing waterproof mascara). Once we took a good look at all the products we’ve been using, we realized the majority of them were pretty toxic! This wasn’t good news.
We wiped away our tears (and threw away some of our fav products) and started the search for more natural, organic makeup that was also ethically conscious. And we found hope 🙂 Fear not makeup lovers, for there are plenty of alternative options out there, and best of all, we did all the work for you! Each week we will be covering a different category and will provide you with a list of our favorite beauty products!
This week is all about eyeliners!
The standard eyeliners contain ingredients like parabens, coal tar colors (FD&C Yellow 5), talc, BHA, and dimethicone. These ingredients have been known to cause irritation and disrupt our hormones through skin absorption, and some are purported to be carcinogens. What’s worse is that the FDA does not regulate cosmetics. So companies can put whatever they want and say whatever they want without being held accountable. According to the Environmental Working Group,
“Nearly 90% of the 10,500 ingredients the FDA has determined are used in personal care products have not been evaluated for safety by the CIR, the FDA or any public accountable institution”.
As consumers, we believe it’s worth looking a little deeper into the products we use every day and be aware of what we are putting on our bodies. So what are some alternatives?
- Tarte SmolderEYES Amazonian Clay Waterproof Eyeliner – This is my absolute favorite eyeliner <3. It glides on smoothly, has a rich tint, and includes a smudging brush on the bottom if you desire a smoky look. Comes in a variety of beautiful jewel-based colors. It does not contain any parabens, phthalates, sodium laurel sulfate, triclosan, synthetic fragrances, or gluten. Where to buy: Sephora, Ulta, tartecosmetics.com
- Hourglass 1.5MM Mechanical Gel Eyeliner– This eyeliner is a gel that is encapsulated in a pencil. Has the staying power of typical gel liners, but the ease of a pencil liner. Comes in three shades. It contains extracts of Rosemary, Perilla, Chamomile and Aloe. We love the precise application of this eyeliner. It is free of sulfates, phthalates, and gluten. Where to buy: Sephora, hourglass.com
- Mineral Fusion Eye Pencil – I recently bought this eyeliner in Azure, which is like a navy blue. It glides on smoothly and is nicely pigmented. This eyeliner is mineral-based, with minimal ingredients, and probably the most “pure” of them all. It is formulated with chamomile, meadowfoam, and Vitamin E to soothe the delicate skin around the eyes. It is free of gluten, parabens, artificial colors, fragrances and talc. Cruelty-free. Where to buy: Whole Foods, mineralfusion.com
- Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes Precision Longwear Eyeliner – Felt tip liquid eyeliners have become my new obsession! They have the same great bold look as regular liquid liners, but are super easy to apply! The pen gives you a lot of control and it’s easy to apply it thick or thin. Almost every company out there has come out with a felt tip liner, but this is one of my favorites for the price and quality! Tarte products are formulated without parabens, mineral oils, phthalates, triclosan, sodium lauryl sulfate, or gluten. Cruelty free. Where to buy: Sephora, Ulta, tartecosmetics.com
- Juice Beauty Eyeliner – This eyeliner is very impressive – it is made from organic shea and cocoa butters, minerals, acai, Vitamin E, and goji berries! Color is rich and glides effortlessly. It also has a smudging tip on the other end to soften your look or do a smoky eye. It is made without parabens, petroleum, propylene or butylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfates, pesticides, phthalates, artificial dyes or synthetic fragrances. Cruelty-free. Where to buy: Ulta, juicebeauty.com
- e.l.f Mineral Eyeliner- This is great choice if you don’t want to spend alot of money. It contains no parabens, dyes, or preservatives. Comes in five different shades. Where to buy: Target, Walgreens, Walmart
*If you buy directly from tartecosmetics.com you can save 20% on your first order and receive free samples!