Foundations help to even out one’s skin tone and mask any imperfections. I used to have horrible acne as a teenager and have some scarring as a result. Foundation is a must for me to help give the appearance of a smooth complexion. At the same time, I do not prefer a heavy, caky look. I also use a concealer to help mask my dark under-eye circles. Lately, I’ve been enjoying the look and coverage of bb creams and love their all-in-one convenience as a moisturizer, sun protectant, anti-aging properties, and tint.
Considering that foundations, concealers, and bb creams are applied all over the face and neck, it is important to choose a non-toxic brand. Everything that we put on our skin gets absorbed into our body, including the chemicals found in the majority of drugstore and department store makeup. Common toxic ingredients found in cover-ups include:
– Talc is a respiratory irritant when inhaled as a powder. Some studies have shown a link between talc and lung, ovarian, and skin cancer.
– Aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, which is toxic to the nervous system.
– Mineral oil can block pores and cause acne.
– Isopropyl myristate can irritate the skin and cause blackheads.
– Propylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, BHT, and triethanolamine (TEA) are skin irritants and can cause allergies.
– Parabens, which as used to preserve the product, can disrupt the hormone system and are found in breast cancer tumors! The World Health Organization (WHO) and the UN recently released a report calling endocrine disruptors a “global threat” to fertility and the environment.
– Quaternium-15 is another dangerous preservative that can break down into formaldehyde, a known carcinogen.
– Synthetic fragrances, which may also cause allergies, are often used to perfume foundations
– Coal tar dyes are potentially toxic and may be added for color.
Of all the make-up products we researched, foundations seemed to have the highest number of toxic ingredients. This is very alarming because foundations are worn for hours on end each day and it is the first thing to touch the skin in the makeup application process. Lucky for you, here are some natural alternatives:
1. Tarte BB Tinted Treatment 12 Hour Primer – My absolute favorite product on this list! I wear this daily and am in love with it! Such a breeze to apply, and makes skin smooth and soft. Has great coverage! It evens out my blotchy red skin, and covers acne marks. It was listed as a top pick BB cream by EWG because of its low toxic score. Where to buy: Sephora, Ulta, tarte.com
2. 100% Pure Healthy Skin Foundation – I love this brand because they use 100% food grade dyes and ingredients. So not only is it safe to wear, it’s probably safe to eat (not that you should!). It’s good for those with sensitive skin. Good coverage and staying power. Limited colors, and is a little on the dry side, so wearing moisturizer is a must with this. Where to buy: 100percentpure.com, Amazon
3. Juice Beauty Perfecting Foundation – If you have sensitive skin or allergies to makeup, then you must try Juice Beauty products! This lightweight foundation goes on effortlessly, with medium to light coverage. Only comes in three shades. Paired with Juice Beauty concealer, they provide the perfect coverage. Juice Beauty Correcting Concealer has medium coverage, blends well, and is good for under eye circles. Where to buy: Ulta, juicebeauty.com
4. Zuii Organics Flora Liquid Foundation – Zuii’s foundation contains certified organic ingredients and provides medium coverage. Flora ingredients like Calendula and Aloe Vera gives this foundation healing properties as well. It comes in nine different shades. Cruelty free and no parabens, petrochemicals, no talc and no GM ingredients. Where to buy: Whole Foods, www.zuiiorganic.com
5. Everyday Minerals, Mineral Foundation – Everyday minerals is 100% vegan and is made in our home state of Texas! There are three different formulations with shades for nearly every skin tone. Where to buy: everydayminerals.com
7. e.l.f. Studio High Definition Powder – This product is a must-have! It sets the makeup, and gives your skin a nice, smooth finish. Comes in three finishes, sheer, shimmer, and corrective yellow. And the price can’t be beat! Where to buy: drug stores, Ulta, Target
8. Alima Pure Mineral Foundation – This mineral makeup is hypoallergenic and feels so silky when you apply it. It’s lightweight and comes in 61 different colors! You are sure to find a match with Alima. Best part is there are only four ingredients! Cruelty free and no parabens, glutens, or dyes. Where to buy: alimapure.com
9. Jane Iredale Glow Time Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream – This BB cream is on the thicker side, so a little goes a long way. Mix in a little moisturizer to make application smoother and easier. Medium to full coverage. Where to buy: Nordstrom, janeiredale.com
This concludes our natural makeup series, hope you found it to be beneficial 🙂