Thanksgiving is here and get-togethers with family and friends are a common theme for which we should be very thankful. One of the ways to show your appreciation, but is often overlooked, is graciousness and praying for the host. There are many beautiful examples from the Sunnah which teach us how to be the best guest and the best host:
– Accept the invitation. Prophet (SAW) said, “The rights of a Muslim over a fellow Muslim are five: returns greetings, visit the sick, attending funerals, accepting invitations, saying YarhamukAllah when he sneezes.” (Bukhari, Muslim)
– Do not criticize the food, even if you dislike it. The Prophet (SAW) would eat the food he liked, and if he disliked it, then he would leave it.
– Before leaving, thank the host, praise the food and their efforts, and make dua for them.
– The host should honor the guests and welcome them cheerfully and entertain them happily.
– Make them feel comfortable and offer food and drink. The Prophet (SAW) used to keep offering drink and food to his guests until they said they had no more room in their stomachs!
Another powerful way to show your appreciation towards hosts is through gifts, especially home-made, because they convey a sense of personal touch.
Aa’ishah (ra) said:
“The Messenger of Allah used to accept gifts and reward people for giving them.” (al Bukhari) and he (SAW) also said, “Exchange gifts, as that will lead to increasing your love to one another.” (al Bukhari)
The gift can be small and inexpensive and if you have the time to make it at home, this personalization will make the gift much more well received and appreciated. It’s the thought that counts! Here are some ideas we came up with!
1. Flowers or house plants can brighten rooms!
2. Chocolate is always very rewarding and makes almost everyone happy!
3. If your friend is a baker, cake stands may make perfect gifts.
4. Scented lotions and candles have tendencies to relax people. These make great gifts especially for hosts because they’ve worked so hard putting together a delicious Thanksgiving dinner! In addition to scented candles, packaged foods like oils, assortment of vinegar, and baking goods serve as great gift ideas!
5. Know a tea lover? Get them a tea gift set that can be enjoyed anytime of the day!
6. Our personal favorite, a beautiful rainbow Quran! It can add color to any library or book shelf.
7. Adorable aprons are everywhere these days, pick up one for the fashionista hostess!
The best gift of all is to make dua for them! Saying a short prayer in private or to the host is probably the best gift they’ll receive. It will bring good to them in this life and the next insha’Allah.
Translation: ‘O Allah, bless for them, that which You have provided them, forgive them and have mercy upon them.”
Hope you enjoyed our post and make sure to leave comments with your gift ideas!
From our families at Honey and Dates, we wish you and your families a very Happy Thanksgiving.