When you think of baby care products, the first thing that comes to your mind is probably Johnson and Johnson. After all, it is the “#1 choice of hospitals”. But little do people know how many toxins are in their products as well as other popular brands. It wasn’t until recently that J&J decided to remove formaldehyde from some of their products. Although the formaldehyde is gone, there are still some toxic ingredients in their products.
Babies are more vulnerable to these toxins because their brain and immune system are still developing. In addition, their skin is more delicate and therefore can absorb more into the body. According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), “Before the age of 2, babies have accumulated 50% of their life-time cancer risk.”
Some of these toxic ingredients include:
– Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: One of the most toxic ingredients because when combined with other chemicals, it can form nitrosamines, which is a deadly form of carcinogen. It acts as a foaming agent and is commonly found in soap, shampoos, and other cleaners.
– Formaldehyde: Known carcinogen, causes irritation to the skin and eyes.
– Diethanolamine (DEA): Other names to look out for are momoethanolamine (MEA) and triethanolamine (TEA). These chemicals are used as emulsifiers and fragrances, but when mixed with certain preservatives, it produces nitrosamines, which is a carcinogen.
– Parabens: These are used as a preservative in a number of beauty and health products. Causes irritations and numerous studies have found it to cause hormone disruption, which may lead to breast cancer and reproductive toxicity.
– Fragrances: Fragrance is often listed under the name “Phthalates” which can have some serious side effects including birth defects, cancer, and hormonal disruption. Opt for unscented products which you can add essential oils in to give them fragrance.
Here are some of our top picks for all natural baby care products:
Lotions and Oils
1. Earth Angel Mama Baby Lotion: blended with organic herbal ingredients to moisturize and protect sensitive, delicate skin. Contains no synthetic fragrances, phthalates or parabens. Where to buy: Amazon.com, earthmamaangelbaby.com
2. California Baby Massage Oil: Contains organic and sustainably grown ingredients. Contains no added fragrance or scent masking agents. Where to buy: Target, Amazon.com
Shampoo and Body Wash
3. Dr. Bronners Unscented Pure Castile Soap: this mild soap is unscented and perfect for babies with allergies or sensitive skin. Made with healing organic oils. Where to buy: Target, Amazon, CVS.
4. Baby Ganics Shampoo and Body Wash: this foamy cleanser gently cleans baby’s skin from head to toe. Contains no parabens, sulfates, phthalates, mineral oil, petrolatum, artificial fragrances or dyes. Where to buy: Target, Babies ‘R Us, Amazon.com
5. Burts Bees Fragrance Free Shampoo and Body Wash: this natural, plant based cleanser leaves your baby’s skin clean and smelling oh, so good! Contains no phthalates, parabens, petrolatum, or SLS. Where to buy: Target, Babies ‘R Us, Drug Store.
6. Babyganics Frangarance Free Bubble Bath: Made from natural plant-based ingredients. A gentle, tear free formula. Creates lots of bubbles! Where to buy: Target, Amazon.
7. California Baby Calendula Bubble Bath: Calming bubble bath, perfect for even sensitive skin. Tear free. Made from organic and sustainable ingredients. Where to buy: Target, Amazon.
8. California Baby Calming Non Talc Powder: kaolin clay and sodium bicarbonate work together to absorb moisture to keep skin dry, cool and comfortable. Where to buy: Target, Amazon.
Diaper Rash Cream
9. Burt’s Bees Diaper Ointment: Sweet Almond Oil and Zinc Oxide create an emollient layer that shields baby from wetness that can irritate delicate skin. No phthalates, parabens, petrolatum, or SLS. Where to buy: Target, Amazon, Drug Store
10. Badger Zinc Oxide Diaper Cream: contains 100% Certified Natural & 95% Certified Organic ingredients. Contains calendula, which has a calming effect on baby. Where to buy: Sprouts, Whole Foods, Amazon.
Michael D Richmond says
Babies are more vulnerable to these toxins because their brain and immune system are still developing. In addition, their skin is more delicate and therefore can absorb more into the body. Good to know that…helpful for babies
Thanks for your sharing. The information you provide help me learn more about the baby’s skin and the baby care products. I know more about some toxic ingredients in the baby care products. It is good when I know your products include the natural ingredients. It is really good for baby skin