I had been using canola oil for the longest time and recently found out that it was not a safe oil to use because it is genetically modified. In addition, it is made using a highly unnatural processing method that involves high heat, deodorization, and a toxic solvent known as hexane (a carcinogen). It is marketed as a “healthier” cooking oil, but is it really? Watch this video to learn how canola oil is manufactured:
I was shocked after I researched canola oil and felt bad that I had used it for so many years. Even though I was purchasing cold-pressed canola oil which has fewer residues, there are definitely better alternatives out there such as coconut oil and olive oil.
Olive oil is great to use for sautéing and adding flavor to a dish, but it does NOT have a high smoke point and becomes toxic when cooking at higher temperatures. I like using coconut oil for baking, but find that it leaves behind a strong “cononutty” taste. Honestly, who wants a coconut flavored fried egg? I started to research which oil would be a good alternative and came across avocado oil. It has multiple health benefits:
* Avocado oil is extracted from the flesh of the avocado, so it is technically a fruit oil and not a vegetable oil.
* Avocado is high in oleic acid, a monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid
* Avocado is known to contain powerful phytonutrients like beta-sitosterol, which has been shown to lower cholesterol
* Avocado also contains glutathione, which provides protection against certain types of cancer
* Avocado oil also contains a powerful vitamin concoction of E, C, K, B6, potassium, and folate
* Avocado oil has been shown to help prevent stroke and heart attack in diabetic patients by lowering the concentration of bad (LDL) cholesterol and improving overall blood lipids
So far, I’m loving avocado oil! I purchase my avocado oil from Costco – a 33 oz. bottle for less than $10! It stands up to high heat really well (up to 500 degrees) and has a mild undetectable flavor. I hope you try it – I seriously don’t know why it took me so long to discover this wonderful oil!
OMG. I was totally looking for alternative to canola and i just had coconut oil, ghee and olive oil on me!
woo hoo! We love reading people’s minds 😉 Hope you give avocado oil a try!
I just bought a bottle, and was wondering what it would taste like if I used it instead of vegetable or canola oil in carrot cake, chocolate cake or any baked goods that call for oil? Have you noticed any difference in taste? Like you, I don’t like the taste of coconut oil. It’s really awful in a stir fry!