What’s fun to say and even more fun to eat? Shakshouka!!!
Shakshouka is a tasty dish that originally hails from Tunisia, and is a very popular in the African Arab countries. Shakshouka means “a mixture” in Tunisian Arabic. There are many different takes on it, but the main ingredients are eggs poached in a tomato sauce.
Paired with some warm bread, it can be the perfect comfort food for any time of the day. It’s become a staple dish in our household not only because it’s soooo delicious, but also because it’s really quick and easy to make!
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 Large Yellow Onion
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1 Jalapeño
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 5 Eggs
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ⅓ tsp Red Chili Pepper
- 2 tbsp Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Parsley or Cilantro for Garnishing
- Finely chop the onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, and jalapeños. I normally chop all the vegetables the night before to save myself some time if I'm serving it for breakfast in the morning.
- Fry the onions in some oil until they are a light golden brown.
- Add in the bell peppers and jalapeños. Fry for a few minutes until peppers turn a little soft.
- Add in the tomatoes and fry for ¾ minutes. Then add in the tomato paste with a little water and stir .
- Add the salt and chili pepper. Making sure it doesn't get too dry, cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add in water if needed.
- Now add in the eggs one at a time. Let the eggs cook in the tomato sauce, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with feta cheese and parsley or cilantro.
- Serve with some fresh bread so you can use it to scoop some of that delicious sauce! Enjoy!
Leave a Reply