My dad’s side of the family is huge. He has seven brothers and three sisters who live all over America. When we were younger, we used to see each other once a year. However, as we started getting married and having families of our own, we kind of lost touch with each other.
But then came the advent of technology and WhatsApp! We quickly reconnected and began talking to cousins who were all of a sudden a lot older than 5! Last Eid, we decided to do a Secret Eidi Exchange. We were all basically assigned someone we had to gift to and a budget of $20. Everyone had a great time receiving their gifts and showing off pictures on WhatsApp.
I used Drawnames.com to set everything up. This website is great because you can also set up exclusions. For example, if you don’t want spouses to gift each other, you can set that rule. The website will generate the exchange and e-mail everyone who their person is. You can also set up a wish list to help give your person an idea of what you want. The only thing it does not do is create an address book in case you have to mail the gift. But you can easily compile a list of everyone’s addresses so you don’t make it obvious.
Doing an Eid exchange is a big stress reliever. You don’t have to buy gifts for a million people. It saves time, money, and the headache! You can even set one up for the young kids in the family!
Thinking of what to buy loved ones can also be stressful. So we came up with some gift ideas. Check out our list below of our favorite things to gift people. Please share your favorite items with us as well!
1. Islamic Wall Art: We love Little Wings Gallery and Inmystudioo. They have something for everyone. All you have to do is print it and put it in a pretty frame. It is sure to please! If you are too lazy to frame, check out Modern Muslim Home. They sell beautiful Islamic art that’s already framed.
2. Chai Tea Mix: Do you know a tea lover who can’t live without having at least one cup of tea a day? If they are short on time, these tea mixes are great! Tastes pretty authentic too and comes in a variety of flavors.
3. Coffee Mugs: to go with your chai tea mix! We love the monogram mugs at World Market and Anthropologie. Grandparents love personalized mugs with photos of their grandchildren. York Photo and Shutterfly are great for these.
4. Books: Some of our favorite books are Reclaim Your Heart, Muhammad, Purification of the Heart, and Malcom X.
5. Zoob Building Set: These building toys are great for those who are over Lego’s. Kids use their imagination to build just about anything. Comes in a variety of sets.
6. Telescopes: There is always something or the other going on at night with the stars and planets! Make it even more exciting for the kids with a telescope so they can learn more about the wonders of Allah’s creation.
7. Perler Beads: This craft is perfect to keep a 4-7 year old busy. It might also remind you of your childhood! My 6 year old loves making these. They can also be found at Jo-Ann and Michaels.
8. Boogie Board: this is the coolest thing ever. My daughter can be on it forever. Perfect for long car of plane rides. We also love the Magnatab, another toy that will keep your kids busy for a long time.
9. Noor Kids Books: If you don’t own these books already, then you are missing out! Each book has an interesting Islamic story with a lesson at the end.
10. Toolbox: if your husband is like mine, his tools are all over the place. The current toolbox he has is too small for his collection. I got him this toolbox for Eid so he can neatly organize all his tools.
11. FitBit: great for the athletic man in your life. Or if you want your man to be more active! The FitBit keeps track of steps taken and calories burned. Best of all, you can connect it to your phone to see your progress and the progress of others.
12. Electric Toothbrush: because men like electronics and things that make their lives easier. Plus electric toothbrushes are recommended by dentists!
13. Colorful socks: I don’t know why, but colorful socks seem to be “in” for men right now. So grab a pair of socks for your man the next time you go to the mall.
14. Shaving Kit: The Art of Shaving makes nice kits. Also located in some malls.
15. Hijabs: because we can’t have enough! Jersey hijabs are great for summer because they are light and comfortable. We love these shimmer hijabs at Hijab-ista! Great for Eid and the upcoming wedding season!
16. Makeup: just like hijab, some girls could always use more! But be sure to check out our Natural Makeup Guide first!
17. Spa Gift Card: the woman in your life will really appreciate a day at the spa. There is nothing like going to the spa to relax and refresh yourself!
18. Coupon Book: this might be a bit corny, but any wife would definitely appreciate a hand made coupon book! You can add things like night off from cooking, loading the dishwasher, girls night out, etc. You can’t beat a handmade, thoughtful, and useful gift like this one!
Don’t forget your Eid cards and decorations! We love the cards made by Gupshup Greetings and Hafsa Creates! For party supplies, check out Eid Creations, Norisa Designs, and Silver Envelope.
Leave a Reply